Hot Soups for the Polar Vortex

>> Monday, January 27, 2014


Chicken Tortilla Soup

Friends, I was all set to give you a round-up of the most tempting Superbowl appetizers I could find, but the Polar Vortex has seized Chicagoland and I keep thinking of big steaming bowls of hot soups and stews. Nothing beats the cold better - and I love how stew fills up our home with steam and mouth-watering aromas. 

How cold is it here? Weather.com is saying it's -2F, with the windchill making it -25 degrees. There's a little footnote under the temperature: bitterly cold. Yes. To put it another way, when I filled up the bird feeder this morning, fog rose from the birdseed. When I opened the blinds, they were stuck to the windowsill with a layer of ice on the inside of the window. 

But hey, I'm staying inside all day, and it's sunny at my kitchen table and my windowsill garden is blooming with Christmas (?) cactus and orchids. My daughter, who goes to the only school in Chiberia that didn't close today, is walking to and from the L in a very windy city. I'd bring her some soup, except for my aforementioned plan to stay inside all day, and the fact that she's going straight from college to work.




I'll be back on Wednesday with my Superbowl suggestions, but till then, stay warm and brew up one of these luscious soups!




Guinness Irish Beef Stew


Shoyu Pork Ramen
Chana Masala - Indian Chickpea Stew


Poblano Corn Chowder


Pot Roast Paprikash

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to us - we love hearing from our readers!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP